Thursday, July 30, 2009

Gardening Update

Deep into the Summer and the weather is sizzling HOT!! Of course, we're in the middle of a heat wave. Bad for the forest fires that in the interior of the province, and of course bad for the water reservoirs. There is a fire ban throughout the majority of the province (which doesn't affect me since I don't go camping).

I do want to give an update on my plants though. Remember, I had planted some tomatoes, carrots and herbs? Well.....due to some renovation work earlier in the Spring and Summer, hubby cut down some posts of our metal fence....he didn't move my potted plants cuz he was really tired, and I ended up getting specks of metal in the soil of my plants.

Not knowing whether they would be safe to eat, I have now abandoned my plants. Thats ok though, it wasn't really a proper garden though. My tomatoes didn't grow, nor did my lavender. My carrots were pathetically small (because I planted too many in one pot), and I had to replant my herbs about 3 or 4 times before anything started to grow.....

But one day, I'll have some sort of space in the backyard to actually plant something that will last.....

In the meantime, at least we have our two fruit trees....the cherry tree (which the birds raid every year - just when we notice the fruit is red, the next day they are gone - I didn't even get ONE this year!), and our pear tree, which is doing surprisingly well this year with bucket loads of pears growing on them (but not ready to be picked and eaten yet).

Anyways, the garden I've always wanted will still have to wait. There are other things occupying us at the moment. For the longest while, renos had taken over our lives. Things have slowed down a little but there is still lots to do. I don't think I'm going to get a break for a looong while now!! :)

Maybe I'll update later.....

No comments: